torsdag 1. september 2011

Hello rifle, my old friend

















I guess my title might seem a bit extreme for those who haven`t been to Svalbard, but this was excatly what I felt when I was getting ready for my first hike up here again. Because you never really know where a polarbear might show up, you don`t go hiking without a rifle.

Anyways, after saying hello to people at Unis, fixing whatever needed to be fixed, and halfly settling down in Nybyen (for some reason I´m moving in to another room on Monday, so I haven`t completely settled down and unpacket yet; was a bit sad when I couldn`t start put up posters, post-cards and drawings from friends on the wall immidiatly), me and Ingrid was ready to go hiking. From the pictures you`ll see it`s quite grey and wet, but it was still great to get out, hike up to Sarkofagen, and just truly see that I´m back home! After the hike we went to Huset to have dinner, and got a bit surprised when it was completely redeccorated! (It`s really fancy now, hard to imagine that once there was a bunch of coalminers drinking beer at that very spot.)

It`s great being back here :) I got a warm welcome back to Unis by familliar faces, and some of my awesome friends are up here too! I haven`t really met a lot of the new students here yet, but so far it seems like a lot of nice people :) I´m looking forward to see more on the Friday Gathering, and I´m especially looking forward to get back to kayak-polo! (And apparantly there`s some stories about me up here, beccause two of my new cool kitchenmates are really eager to see me play!) On the short time I`ve been here now I already feel I´m back home, and I had some awesome times with some awesome people (already!) :D And then I´m realizing that I still have much more to come!

I´m a bit nervous but also super eager to start my new course, it seems like I´m going on a 2 week fieldcruise already in September! I think this course will be short and intens, but I also think it will be really interresting! I´m really looking forward to the cruise! And I hope I´ll be able to catch some more samples for my labwork, so cross your fingers for me!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar